Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Past is the Past

You would think that I would blog about Halloween, because it's the day before... right? No, no. I got something else on my mind: the past. When you think about YOUR past, what comes to mind? Happiness?
Regret?
Sadness?
Love?
Loss?
I think the past, for me, always comes and haunts me. I think of it as a nightmare, but it's weird, because in reality, it's not a dream. Its real. And you think of past, you assume you are pathetic, or weak because you simply can't move on from that. You just can't stop thinking about whatever it is that is holding you back. So you think to yourself: "When will I ever let go? When will I stop holding on to what I desire most?" Sometimes what you desire was in the past. And your desire is gone. So you pretend that its still happening, in your mind. You play these thoughts like a video, you rewind to start over, you pause to think about all the good stuff you wanted back then, but then, you don't know how to fast-forward, because you still want to be stuck on that one scene. Or also, when people think of the past, they just think: "Shit happens." And, I know that's good to think that, but at the same time, not all of those tiny little moments were shit. I'm not a fly on the wall, but if anyone thinks that, they should think (not dwell) on those moments, and some might make them smile. But then now, the smiles are gone with that particular situation.


The particular situation in the past that I personally think everyone holds on to, is love. Whether it was a relationship, a marriage, a hookup, or even a fling, they turn into, breakups, divorces, and awkwardness. Nothing feels the same. Nothing will ever feel the same. You think that you can be a peacemaker and just turn everything the way everything was back then, because it just made you very, very, happy. But in reality you can't. You just can't. It's just life. It's just normality. You don't want to give up your relationship, the one who you desire. But when you two see each other, you both can't even give each other a simple "Hello (insert name here)." And it's really sad. You think that you are pathetic because, you can't stop thinking about this person (boy or girl). But you are not. It actually makes you be a stronger person. And who knows? Maybe you will get someone better. Don't worry.


The past is the past, we all know that.  The thing that is pulling me back is love. I do not know what's pulling you back; whether it is loss or regret. But I do know one thing: I know that everything is gonna be okay. You will be fine darling! Smile and just appreciate that you have made it, and you are a beautiful and strong person.


Lately, I have just done my blogs about my thoughts in society. Since I'm doing this about the past, the music industry, artist write and eventually sing songs about their past, and how THEY feel, when they were in that situation. So yes, I am doing a lovely countdown of the 10 best past songs! I will do my research! Enjoy! (P.S If you are in dealing with the past currently, some of these songs will make you sad, depending on the situation, otherwise if not, again.. please enjoy!)


1) "Welcome To Heartbreak" by Kanye West ft. Kid Cudi
Alright, so Kanye West might be a arrogant toolbox, but personally, he writes/sings some really good songs. This particular song is about how he chose wrong from right, and now it's so hard for him to get his life back on track because he messed up so much in the past.


Lyrics Excerpt: "Chased the good life my whole life long
Look back on my life and my life gone
Where did I go wrong?"






2) "Youth of The Nation" by P.O.D
This song is a realist song because, the different situations in the song, are real. It deals with the youth, and what they go through what they go through. But it is also about the past. How you can regret not doing  what you wanted to do, and how you rebelled, which you thought it was right at the time. But it was wrong, and now, you are just realizing, and you are also regretting what you did wrong.


Lyrics Excerpt: "Last day of the rest of my life I wish I would have known cause I'd have kissed my momma goobye. I didn't tell her that I loved her or how much cared or thank my pops for all the talks and all the wisdom he shared."


                                                                                                    
3) "The Permanent Rain" by The Dangerous Summer
This song is about how someone deals with death and how they are saying, I know this is sad, but I know I'm going to see you someday. But at the same time this person is angry, because they don't know what's going on, and the fact the person has lost someone they love. 


Lyrics Excerpt: "I know it’s not helping to hear me say,
“I wish it was me in the car that day.” Though something made me stop and think of what you said. You know it meant a lot, but I was just a kid, one with all these dreams of growing up and playing music on the road I’ve been screaming all these years and thinking of your bones."

4) "Erase Me" by Kid Cudi ft. Kanye West
This song is about the aftermath of a relationship. You know, the breakup. Basically, when there is a breakup, it is awkward and hateful, right? The person in the song talks about a girl who is trying to get over him, but she can't get away from him, because she cannot stop thinking about him. And, they both wish they could be normal.

Lyrics: "It's like I'm her new nightmare, she ain't escaping it makes me feel a bit complete, yeah knowing someone you love don't feel the same way about ya Memories they soon delete, hmmm."


5) "I Miss You" by Blink-182
Yes, another love song. But, this song is about this person misses their love one.. a lot. And how it's useless for them to get back together because he thinks about her everyday, and he hears her. He wishes that things were happy between them. But it's not real, it will never be the same.
Lyrics Excerpt: "Where are you and I'm so sorry I cannot sleep cannot dream tonight I need somebody and always....Will you come home and stop this pain tonight Stop this pain tonight."

6) "Dancing With Tears in My Eyes" by Ke$ha
It's Kesha (or Ke$ha), I know. But to be honest, this is one of her better songs. This song is about the girl's side of the story. How she messed up in the relationship, and how she's turned into someone she is not. And she feels so "dead" without her lover. 

Lyrics Excerpt: "I have destroyed our life, it's gone  payback is sick  
it's all my fault  I'm Dancing With Tears In My Eyes  just fighting to get through the night I'm losing it...
  7) "Shadow of The Day" by Linkin Park This song can have many meanings. It can be about love, loss, rejection, or regret. It's kind of however you see it. But even though all those things are devastating, or even heartbreaking, sometimes you just have to move on. Lyrics Excerpt: Sometimes solutions aren't so simple, sometimes goodbye's the only way."
8) "Memories" by David Guetta ft. Kid CudiThis song is more upbeat. It's about how you do stupid shit in the past or even now, and you should not regret it, because you had fun, so why dwell over the memories that made you laugh, and smile? Then after, you let the memories go. 

Lyrics Excerpt: "All the crazy shit I did tonight, those will be the best memories.I just wanna let it go for the night That would be the best therapy for me."



9) "Epilogue" by The Shape Of The EarthThis song is about a person who is trying to mend a problem, I'm predicting a relationship. But it's so hard for this person to find a solution, or to make things work because, nothing is the same. 
Lyrics Excerpt: "Thinking that everything will work out, well it finally all worked out. But it's still not the same, everything has changed, though it won't appear that way. And the future can't be worked out. No it never has been worked out I'm sorry that I don't have a way to make it easier each day."

10) "Bookends" by Simon & GarfunkelThis song is very short and sweet. I like that you know what this song means, and it's simple, it's short, it's gets to the point.  This song is about a person who is talking about how he still remembers his/her lover.
Lyrics Excerpt: "Time it was, and what a time it was, it was  A time of innocence, a time of confidences. Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph. Preserve your memories, they're all that's left you."


I hope you enjoyed this blog article! Comment and Enjoy! (once again)


No comments:

Post a Comment